Everyone upgrades their Tippmann A5. (If you aren’t, you’re doing it wrong.) Are you in the market for a better barrel? We’ve got you covered with our top pick for the best barrel for the Tippmann A5.
The Tippmann A5 is one of the most popular paintball guns of all-time.
- It’s affordable.
- It’s reliable.
- It’s customizable.
Most people purchase a Tippmann A5 because of the wide world of aftermarket upgrades available, including sights, hoppers, E-grips, response triggers, and more.
The Best Tippmann A5 Barrels
Empire Apex 2 Barrel System
Best Barrel Upgrade for the Tippmann A5
- Adjustable ramp switch for desired level of curve
- Nine adjustment spin positions to hit your target, including spin
- Durable aluminum construction
- Tool less disassembly for easy maintenance
- Left and right hook, drop shot, and long flat trajectory shots with the twist of the barrel
Perfection, thy name is Apex.
The Empire Apex 2 Barrel System is the best aftermarket barrel upgrade for the Tippmann A5, and it isn’t that close (maybe with one exception — our first runner-up below). What makes the Apex so great?
- Comes in either 14″ or 18″ barrel lengths, though 14″ is all you’ll really ever need
- The adjustable ramp switch gives you nine levels to customize your curve and spin.
- Redesigned internal section for longer, flatter shots on top of those reality-bending curves
- Easy, tool-less disassembly
- Durable aluminum construction
The best criticism I’ve ever seen for the Apex 2? The adjustable ramp switch is too good, and you might get carried away with fancy trick shots.
Case closed. This Tippmann A5 Apex barrel is one of the best A5 aftermarket parts.
Tippmann A5 Flatline Barrel
Runner-Up 1, All-Around Play
If you want to upgrade the A5’s stock barrel while sticking with Tippmann, you want their A5 Flatline Barrel. Note that the Flatline upgrade for the Tippmann A5 differs from the Flatline upgrade for the 98, though it’s also one of the best barrels for the Tippmann 98 Custom.
The A5 Flatline Barrel can’t shoot as consistently far and straight as the Apex 2, but it’s good enough to take out marauding geese according to one Amazon reviewer.
J&J Ceramic A5 Barrel
Runner-Up 2, All-Around Play
No products found.
Bang for your buck; it doesn’t get much better than the J&J Ceramic 14″ Barrel for the Tippmann A5, which also comes in a 16″ length. What do I love so much about it?
- Made from 6061 T6 aluminum machined to the highest quality standards in the industry
- Lightweight and screws in easily yet securely
- Ceramic coating and Teflon impregnation to reduce friction rate
- Ideal for use with CO2 in cold weather as ceramic doesn’t expand
In a vacuum, the J&J A5 barrel isn’t as good as the Apex 2 or Tippmann A5 Flatline but performs reliably at a lower price point.
Tippmann 16″ Sniper Barrel
Runner-Up 1, Sniping
- Greater accuracy than a standard barrel
- 16-inch barrel provides increased shooting distance
- Made In USA
- Micro-honed and polished for precision accuracy
- Fits Tippmann A-5/X7/X7 Phenom Paintball Markers
Let’s throw one more A5 barrel into the mix: the Tippmann Sniper Barrel. You may be surprised that the Tippmann A5 was our pick for the best paintball sniper rifle. Upgrades like this 16″ sniper barrel make that possible. What makes this barrel stand out?
- Machined from one solid piece of 1″ aluminum barrel stock
- Honed and polished to perfection
- Large, multi-holed muzzle break to reduce noise and increase accuracy
If sniping’s your game, the Tippmann A5 with this 16″ Sniper Barrel is your marker of choice, though they also make a 14″ model that performs nearly as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do paintball barrels make a difference?
Yes, longer barrels give the paintball more time to straighten, resulting in more consistent shots. The drawback is that it takes more air to make this happen.
Are paintball barrel kits worth it?
It depends on how into paintball you are. If you love it, then hell, yes, it’s hard not to go crazy with gear. If you’re a casual or infrequent player then you likely won’t miss out on much.
What’s the best barrel for the Tippmann A5?
We strongly recommend the Empire Apex 2 Barrel System.